Sunday, July 25, 2010

What the Biz Rep Has Learned*

It’s good to stay focused on what’s in front of you.

The job at hand, the person you’re talking to, whatever ....

... because over time, it makes you a more efficient and useful human being.

I knew a person at the studio I worked for who spent most of his time watching the little television on his desk. Work was kind of an after-thought. The supervisor let him get away with this behavior (I guess it was the era) but others in the department resented it, and it made morale kind of crappy.

And while a business representative, I dealt with an official from another guild who, when speaking to you, never gave eye contact. During almost every back-and-forth, he would look over your shoulder, scouting for more important people in the room. (Sadly, there usually were more important people in the room.)

This was irritating.

Basic rule: If you pay no attention when engaged in one-on-one conversations, at least master the art of pretending to listen.

(* The first of a now-and-again series.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sincerity's important. Once you can fake that, the rest is easy...

Anonymous said...

Uh huh. Yeah. Right. Gotcha. Really. I hear that. You dont say.
Uh huh......

Anonymous said...

Hey snarky anonymous guy: I think I know who you are. You sound exactly like a coworker I know, you use the same little catch phrases and offer up the same self-righteous, inappropriate back-talking here as you do at work.

If this is who I think it is, you have no place to talk shit. You're a disappointment to all of us, and would do better to spend less time here being a smartass and more time pretending to care about your (former) job.

Anonymous said...

11:30:00 PM Ohhh haha. If I could even feel an inkling that you knew who I was, I suppose I'd be a bit creeped out for being suspected in behaving such a way. However, as I am only being a smartass, I'm confident that you dont know who I am cuz I dont talk to anyone like that at all. Simply for the reason that I am not the kind of person to be put in the position to make you feel like you have to say anything to me that would matter to you if I really weren't listening. And egging you on so. However, the type in which you are refering to comes in spades. They are a dime a dozen. Sorry you have to put up with that crap. As for my tapping in to the thread in such a way, all I can say is, ha ha, spread the love!

Site Meter