Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Serving TAG

When I was but a lad, I found myself on a picket line in front of Walt Disney Productions. The animation union was out on strike over a contract, and members of the Animation Guild (then called "Motion Picture Screen Cartoonists") hit the bricks for ten weeks in mid-summer.

I lost a couple of months of salary in the job action, but ultimately gained a wife (we met on the line). When the strike was over, I thought to myself: "Maybe I should start attending union meetings, so I know what the hell is going on."

Up until then, you see, I had never been to a union meeting, barely knew where the building was, and could have cared less. But I began attending the bi-monthly meetings regularly, and after a little while found myself learning a few things. And soon after that, nominated for and then elected to the august position of union Vice-President.

The competition was not stiff that particular year.

Since that time, I've served as board member, Veep, and Business Representative (which is what I am now.) It's been a wild and interesting ride the entire way, sometimes exhilerating, sometimes aggravating, but seldom boring.

I write of this now because next Tuesday, one week from today, TAG will once again meet to nominate officers and executive board members. I'll be running again, but I thought it would be a fine idea to float an invitation to TAG members reading this to consider giving up a night or two a month and throwing your hat in the proverbial ring.

If you do, I can promise that the time spent will be interesting, aggravating, and seldom boring. And you'll be serving an organization that exists to improve the lives of its members. What could be more honorable and good for your soul than that?

0 comments:

Site Meter