Tuesday, September 25, 2007

A Day In Rotenburg

Rotenberg, afternoon

Three more Ralph Hulett paintings -- these in oil. (Ordinarily I would post these puppies later in the week, but ... no time like the present ...) .

Rotenberg, morning and evening

The different studies here are from -- again -- a Walter Foster art book. Here's Mr. Hulett describing his paintings and techniques:

Color is very important in helping create various moods. Here, I have tried to demonstrate several different moods using a common composition. The palette used for these three paintings is shown above. All of the colors for each picture are listed in the procedures.

This scene is inspired by a quaint little medieval town in the southern part of Germany. The village is entirely walled. The story-book buildings are timbered and have steep, pitched roofs. Its name is Rotenburg, and it is one of the most interesting villages I've ever visited.

Procedure - "Evening Rotenburg." I washed in dark buildings. Next I did sky and foreground. The lights in the windows and the figures were put in last. COLORS: monastral blue, viridian green, burnt umber, cadmium yellow, cadmium orange, alizirian crimson, and white.

"Morning Rotenburg." I again washed in buildings, sky and foreground. After the underpainting was dry, I painted the sky and foreground with warm colors. Finally, the figures were defined. COLORS. cadmium organt, alizirian crimson, cobalt blue, burnt umber and white.

"Afternoon Rotenburg." I established light and dark patterns with thin washes (use turpentine or light fluid for a medium to dilute oil paint.) After the rough pattern and color was organized, I used a palette knife and undiluted pigment to build up the texture.

0 comments:

Site Meter